Sunday, December 25, 2011

Ddeok Bokki Bombs

Have you ever walked in someone's yard for a while, and then realized that something smelled like day old meat, corn, grass, and dirt?  And then, upon looking for the smell, you realize that it's you.  So you proceed to investigate yourself, smelling your underarms, your hands, your shirt, and then finally looking under your shoe.  And you spot it.  Green, brown, mushy, crumbly, smelly...poo.
You have stepped in one of the notorious traps neighbors leave for each other in their yards.  Then dog-poo land mine.  

Now, I live in an apartment, which means that I am yard free.  And all of my friends live in similar apartments, thus being yard free.  This means that I don't run the risk of surprise squishy land-mines.  At least I thought I didn't.

But then I walked down the stairs at my school.  As my foot came off of one step to descend to the next, with all of my body weight behind it, I felt a crunch.  And then a squish.  First, I caught my balance. Then, I looked for source of the problem.  It was a small paper cup.  But in the small paper cup was a reddish-orange sauce that smelled like sweet, salty, chili sauce.  And in that sauce were thick, white rice noodles.  It had happened, not in a backyard, but at work, in a school, on the stairs.  I found the Dokk Boki bomb.  

Innocent students who love life and having fun also love eating Dokk Boki as a snack between classes.  And if there is one thing we all know about students, it's that they're not too considerate when it comes to school cleanliness.  I have seen these stained red paper cups on walls, window-sills, desks, and tables.  But never have I seen them on the floor.  My innocent students were innocent no more.  Without knowing it, they waged war on the bottom of my foot.  They absent-mindedly set small, sweet smelling, squishy land-mines for me to step in.  But it's not only me!  It's the other teachers too.  And after every class, the students and teachers naively walk out into "no man's land" to make it back to the classes/offices.  But, everyday, there are casualties.  Because we wear sandals inside, we sacrifice our socks to the violence of the Dokk Boki bomb.  And so, I sit here peeling off another Dokk Boki sock, preparing for the hallways tomorrow.  

Oh, and by the way: Some pictures of my co teachers and students!










0 comments:

Post a Comment